Monday, September 27, 2010

My battle of the bulge


After my pregnancy with Jackson, I was a physical wreck. I gained fifty-three pounds while pregnant with him. I guess you could say I took the term "eating for two" a tad too literal. Granted, the second he had evacuated my stomach, I dropped thirty pounds over night (I love how that happens, don't you?!). However, I was stuck at a very scary weight for me. I joined Weight Watchers and had great success with dropping twenty pounds. Even with that twenty pound loss, I still had around forty pounds to lose until I hit my goal weight. To this day, I still can't believe I allowed my body to become so unhealthy. Not only was I severely overweight, but I was completely inactive and had zero energy. Unfortunately, it's a vicious cycle - you're so tired from all the extra weight that you have no energy to exercise, therefore you can't lose the weight. And it continues and continues.

My pregnancy with Charlie was very different. I was much more focused on how much weight I was gaining. In fact, I actually lost eight pounds within the first few months from being so sick. In the end, I only gained thirteen pounds while pregnant with him. Over the last ten months, I have somehow managed to almost reach my goal weight. It's not only what I see in the mirror, but it's how I feel that reminds me daily how much healthier I have become. Exercise has become my best friend, no longer an enemy. I look at food and treat it like fuel rather than pleasure. That's not to say that I don't indulge here and there. Everyone who knows me is aware of my ice cream addiction!

Last week, I came to the realization that I am officially fifty-seven pounds less than I was two years ago. I'm not usually one to pat myself on the back, but this is something I am incredibly proud of. I've worked hard for it and no food in the world can taste as good as this feels.

Food belongs on a plate, not a pedestal.

3 comments:

  1. You definetly deserve to pat yourself on the back for this one! 57 pounds!!!! Wow! That is amazing! And you look fantastic, well last time I saw you you did :O) I wish I had you drive and dedication! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rochelle! It's been hard work, but SO worth the pain and effort. I never thought I could feel this great and I still have another 10-15 pounds I'd like to shed, so I can't even imagine how fantastic I'll feel then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Jess, I think that is fantastic! It takes some dedication that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete